Unit 1: the Five S's Step-by-Step
In this unit learners will be introduced to the five core components of the 5S's:
- Sort: Sort out items not needed in the work area and disposition those items to be removed.
- Set in Order: Select the best locations and ways to store items used in the work area using a structured rationale and knowledge of storage options.
- Shine: Get the workplace clean; then maintain the appearance of the workplace and institute preventive measures to ensure it stays clean.
- Standardize: Design systems in place to ensure everyone does things the same way, implement techniques to ingrain a "copy exactly" mind set, and leverage Best Practices.
- Sustain: Learn how to prevent backsliding and build the 5S's into the culture of the organization.
Unit 2: 5S Implementation
In this unit, learners explore approaches to implement the 5S's in
their organization (or work area); examples of successes for each 5S phase are included.
- Organization-Wide Implementation: Work though an 8-point checklist to plan an organization-wide implementation of the 5S's.
- Work Area Implementation: Use a 6-point checklist to plan your work area 5S effort if a site-wide 5S implementation is not supported.
- Sort Successes: Explore examples of "Sort Successes" to trigger ideas for your 5S effort.
- Set in Order Successes: Use lessons learned from "Set in Order Successes" to fuel your 5S effort.
- Shine, Standardize, & Sustain Successes: Adopt the examples discussed to build success factors into your Shine, Standardize, and Sustain efforts.