Front line employees, managers
and supervisors in non-manufacturing environments.
Time To Complete
6 (0.6 CEUs) hours
How can Lean Concepts Apply in Non-Manufacturing?
Lean manufacturing has been used both conceptually and in
practice to identify and eliminate waste in manufacturing
operations for years. Can Lean Manufacturing principles and
practices be applied to business processes? Of course! Lean
is all about getting waste out of processes and waste isn't
just something that happens in manufacturing.
Non-manufacturing processes have hand-offs, disconnects,
incomplete communications and rework loops. Office and
support processes are often ripe for streamlining and many
of the same improvement tools such as process mapping, the
5S's, and error-proofing can be used to achieve significant
efficiencies. Lean process measures can then be put
into place to monitor the improvement results, hold the
gains and identify new opportunities for improvement.
Lean Business Processes Online Training
Lean for Business
Processes online training is designed specifically
for those working in business processes and transactional
environments. The course begins with explanations and
examples of the Seven Wastes in “office-friendly” terms.
Process mapping techniques are coupled with process
streamlining methods to demonstrate how value streams can be
configured to be more effective. The course adds 5S,
error-proofing and TPM techniques to the Lean Business
Process arsenal and wraps up with descriptions of measures
that can be used to sustain and expand the Lean initiative.
This Training Enables Learners To...
- Understand the Seven Wastes and be able to actively support efforts to reduce them.
- Recognize value-added from the customer’s perspective.
- Use Brown-Paper Flowcharts, Workflow Diagrams and Value Stream Maps to document current processes.
- “Question” workflows to identify non-value-adding activities and tasks.
- Develop a plan to simplify and streamline workflows.
- Support a 5S effort in their work area.
- Understand the power of error-proofing to prevent future problems.
- Assist a Business Process TPM effort.
- Be able to track macro measures of the Lean initiative.
You May Also Be Interested In...
The 5S's: Workplace Organization
- Comprehensive training in the concepts and application
of the 5S's (Sort, Set in Order, Shine, Standardize and
Sustain) and how to apply these techniques on the job.
Lean for Business Processes -
Online training that provides learners with a
comprehensive understanding of how Lean Manufacturing
works in a transaction-based/non-manufacturing business
or job function.
8D Problem-Solving - Step-by-step
training in how to work on a problem-solving team follow
the 8D methodology including tools and techniques that
are used in each step.