Unit 1: Error-Proofing Primer
- Understand the goal of error-proofing.
- Know the language of error-proofing.
- Recognize error-proofing solutions in everyday life and use these solutions as triggers for ideas to error-proof transactional processes.
- Be familiar with the transactional model of a process and understand how errors can be introduced from the service provider's side and from the customer's side of the transaction.
- See the value of improving processes so that errors are prevented instead of relying on detection to find errors.
Unit 2: Error-Proofing Techniques
- Be aware of common techniques for achieving all four types of error-proofing effects.
- Have a basic understanding of how to identify the root cause of errors.
- Address root causes of errors by developing error-proofing solution candidates.
- Evaluate candidates to determine the best solution for the situation.
- Understand how the Seven Wastes represent chronic process errors and why these chronic errors are as important to address as acute errors.
- Know how to apply the Five-Whys, Timeline Analysis and Cause & Effect Diagrams as error-proofing investigative tools.
- Become familiar with additive data picture tools that can help paint a picture of the problem.