AIAG-VDA FMEA-MSR Online Training
This online training prepares learners to participate on the core team of an Supplemental FMEA for Monitoring and System Response (FMEA-MSR) using the 2019 AIAG-VDA FMEA Handbook. The course provides a background understanding of FMEAs, provides detailed instruction for participating on an FMEA-MSR Core Team and shows how DFMEAs and FMEA-MSRs are linked.
IMPORTANT NOTE: While the AIAG-VDA FMEA-MSRs course is in line with the AIAG-VDA FMEA Handbook, it is not intended as a replacement for the source Handbook. We recommend that this course be used in conjunction with the official Handbook.
This course is still in development. The anticipated release is November 2019. In the meantime, to get a solid understanding of the new AIAG-VDA FMEA process, we recommend our Introduction to AIAG-VDA FMEAs.
What is AIAG-VDA Failure Mode and Effects Analysis?
Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) techniques have been used for over 70 (yes, SEVENTY!) years. In recent years, use of FMEAs has gained popularity as a quality improvement tool. Most industries are now using FMEA techniques as part of their risk assessment and risk mitigation strategies. Unlike many quality improvement tools, FMEAs do not require complicated statistics. FMEA studies can yield significant savings for a company as well as reduce potential risks and associated liabilities of a product or process that does not perform as intended.
In 2019, AIAG (Automotive Industry Action Group, www.aiag.org) and VDA (Verband der Automobilindustrie, www.vda.de), two of the leading automotive trade associations, unveiled a major revision to FMEA methodology with the release of the AIAG-VDA FMEA Handbook.
Learn more about FMEA in our FMEA Resource Center.
This Training Enables Learners To…
- Effectively participate and contribute as a core team member of an FMEA-MSR team.
You May Also Be Interested In…
- Mistake-Proofing Training – Comprehensive online training in poka yoke/mistake-proofing techniques for manufacturing operations.
- 8D Problem-Solving – Step-by-step training in how to work on a problem-solving team follow the 8D methodology including tools and techniques that are used in each step.
- Root Cause Analysis with Corrective Action – Leads the learner through a four-step process to get to the root cause (source) of problems to eliminated problems for good.
AIAG-VDA FMEA-MSRs Tentative Course Outline
Lesson 1 | Why Conduct FMEA-MSRs and How They Fit with DFMEAs
Lesson 2 | Overview of the FMEA-MSR Process
Lesson 3 | System Analysis (Steps 1, 2 & 3)
Lesson 4 | Failure Analysis and Risk Mitigation (Steps 4, 5 & 6)
Lesson 5 | Communication (Step 7)
Lesson 6 | Helpful Tips
- An assessment of the learner’s progress in this course.
AIAG-VDA FMEA-MSRs Training Course Objectives
- Explain the purpose of conducting an FMEA-MSR and how it is related to a DFMEA.
- Explain the methodology of the AIAG-VDA FMEA-MSR process.
- Use the 5 T’s to plan and prepare for an FMEA-MSR study.
- Work though each step of the 7 steps for conducting an FMEA-MSR.
- Use the FMEA-MSR Analysis Worksheet to document the results of the study.
- Customize the Severity, Frequency and Monitoring/System-Response Ranking Scales.
- Use the results of an FMEA-MSR to continue to reduce risk.