AIAG-VDA Design-FMEAs Online Training
This online training prepares learners to participate on the core team of a Design-FMEA (DFMEA) using the 2019 AIAG-VDA FMEA Process. The course provides a background understanding of FMEAs, provides detailed instruction for participating on a DFMEA Core Team and conceptually introduces FMEAs for Monitoring and System Response (FMEA-MSR).
IMPORTANT NOTE: While the AIAG-VDA Design-FMEAs course is in line with the AIAG-VDA FMEA Handbook, it is not intended as a replacement for the source Handbook. We recommend that this course be used in conjunction with the official Handbook.
This course is still in development. The anticipated release is September 2019. In the meantime, to get a solid understanding of the new AIAG-VDA FMEA process, we recommend our Introduction to AIAG-VDA FMEAs.
What is AIAG-VDA Failure Mode and Effects Analysis?
Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) techniques have been used for over 70 (yes, SEVENTY!) years. In recent years, use of FMEAs has gained popularity as a quality improvement tool. Most industries are now using FMEA techniques as part of their risk assessment and risk mitigation strategies. Unlike many quality improvement tools, FMEAs do not require complicated statistics. FMEA studies can yield significant savings for a company as well as reduce potential risks and associated liabilities of a product or process that does not perform as intended.
In 2019, AIAG (Automotive Industry Action Group, www.aiag.org) and VDA (Verband der Automobilindustrie, www.vda.de), two of the leading automotive trade associations, unveiled a major revision to FMEA methodology with the release of the AIAG-VDA FMEA Handbook.
Learn more about FMEA in our FMEA Resource Center.
This Training Enables Learners To…
- Effectively participate and contribute as a core team member of a DFMEA team.
You May Also Be Interested In…
- Mistake-Proofing Training – Comprehensive online training in poka yoke/mistake-proofing techniques for manufacturing operations.
- 8D Problem-Solving – Step-by-step training in how to work on a problem-solving team follow the 8D methodology including tools and techniques that are used in each step.
- Root Cause Analysis with Corrective Action – Leads the learner through a four-step process to get to the root cause (source) of problems to eliminated problems for good.
AIAG-VDA Design-FMEAs Training Course Objectives
- Explain the value of FMEAs in reducing risk.
- Compare and contrast the different types of FMEAs and describe the relationship between DFMEAs and PFMEAs.
- Identify key quality standards that specify the use of FMEAs.
- Learn how to use the 7-Step AIAG-VDA FMEA process and explain key differences between the 2019 process and FMEAs prior to the 2019 changes.
- Define the purpose and process for conducting an FMEA-MSR.
- Learn how to customize the S-O-D Criteria.
- Explain the relationship between DFMEAs and FMEA-MSRs.
- Identify limitations of FMEAs.
AIAG-VDA Design-FMEAs Tentative Course Outline
Lesson 1 | Why Conduct DFMEAs?
Lesson 2 | Brief History of FMEAs
Lesson 3 | Overview of the DFMEA Process
Lesson 4 | System Analysis (Steps 1, 2 & 3)
Lesson 5 | Failure Analysis and Risk Mitigation (Steps 4, 5 & 6)
Lesson 6 | Communication (Step 7)
Lesson 7 | Conducting FMEA-MSRs
Lesson 8 | Helpful Hints
- An assessment of the learner’s progress in this course.