AIAG-VDA Process-FMEAs Online Training
This online training prepares learners to participate on the core team of a Process-FMEA (PFMEA) using the 2019 AIAG-VDA FMEA Process. The course provides a background understanding of FMEAs including their history, detailed instruction on how to use the seven-step FMEA process and highlights tips for getting the most out of PFMEAs.
IMPORTANT NOTE: While the AIAG-VDA Process-FMEAs course is in line with the AIAG-VDA FMEA Handbook, it is not intended as a replacement for the source Handbook. We recommend that this course be used in conjunction with the official Handbook.
What is AIAG-VDA Failure Mode and Effects Analysis?
Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) techniques have been used for over 70 (yes, SEVENTY!) years. In recent years, use of FMEAs has gained popularity as a quality improvement tool. Most industries are now using FMEA techniques as part of their risk assessment and risk mitigation strategies. Unlike many quality improvement tools, FMEAs do not require complicated statistics yet they can yield significant savings for a company as well as reduce potential risks and associated liabilities of a product or process that does not perform as intended.
In 2019, AIAG (Automotive Industry Action Group, www.aiag.org) and VDA (Verband der Automobilindustrie, www.vda.de), two of the leading automotive trade associations, unveiled a major revision to FMEA methodology with the release of the AIAG-VDA FMEA Handbook.
This Training Enables Learners To…
- Effectively participate and contribute as a core team member of a Process-FMEA team using AIAG-VDA seven-step methodology.
You May Also Be Interested In…
- Mistake-Proofing Training – Comprehensive online training in poka yoke/mistake-proofing techniques for manufacturing operations.
- 8D Problem-Solving – Step-by-step training in how to work on a problem-solving team follow the 8D methodology including tools and techniques that are used in each step.
- Root Cause Analysis with Corrective Action – Leads the learner through a four-step process to get to the root cause (source) of problems to eliminated problems for good.
AIAG-VDA Process-FMEAs Training Course Objectives
- Describe the systematic approach that FMEAs take to identify and reduce risks.
- Compare and contrast the different types of FMEAs and describe the relationship between DFMEAs and PFMEAs.
- Define what the Five T’s are and explain how they are used to ensure successful FMEA team start-ups.
- Learn to use the Seven-Step AIAG-VDA PFMEA process.
- Describe the “Failure Chain” concept in FMEAs.
- Understand how evaluation criteria is used to rate the levels of Severity, Occurrence and Detection and how the S-O-D rating is used to establish the Action Priority Level of potential failure modes.
- Develop action plans to reduce risks and make the process more robust.
- Explain the relationship between PFMEAs and Control Plans.
- Identify key factors to improve the effectiveness of PFMEAs.
AIAG-VDA Process-FMEAs TENTATIVE Course Outline
Lesson 1 | Why Conduct PFMEAs?
Lesson 2 | Brief History of FMEAs
Lesson 3 | Overview of the PFMEA Process
Lesson 4 | System Analysis (Steps 1, 2 & 3)
Lesson 5 | Failure Analysis and Risk Mitigation (Steps 4, 5 & 6)
Lesson 6 | Communication (Step 7)
Lesson 7 | Helpful Tips
- An assessment of the learner’s progress in this course.