All employees who are involved in making improvements in their jobs and working on teams.
Time To Complete
5 hours (0.5 CEUs)
Root Cause Analysis Training Online
Root Cause Analysis Training takes the learner through a four-step process for uncovering and tackling sources of problems and defects so that root causes can be addressed and the resulting problems eliminated for good. This is a comprehensive “how to” course that teaches learners working alone or in teams to find and fix the root cause of problems.
With successful completion of Root Cause Analysis Training, learners will be able to effectively participate on a problem solving team beginning with defining the symptoms of the problem, then using data and investigative tools identify the root cause and finally employing decision matrices to select the most appropriate solution. Participants will also be able to create measures to ensure the gains made are held. The course wraps up by identifying the common barriers to root cause analysis and presents techniques to overcome those barriers.
Includes Problem-Finding and Problem-Solving Tools
Throughout this training tools and techniques that are used in root cause analysis are presented along with instructions on how and when they are used and what they can reveal. Tools included are: Team membership, problem statement development, cause & effect diagrams, the concept of the chain of causes, studying interrelationships, data analysis and investigative tools, creating potential solutions and selecting the best solution, developing action plans and verifying it was effective in solving the problem.
For an introduction to the terminology and process of root cause analysis, please see Overview of Root Cause Analysis.
What is Root Cause Analysis?
Root cause analysis (RCA) involves searching backwards from an undesirable effect (or problem) to its cause(s) and addressing those causes. While the term “Root Cause” implies that there is a single cause for a problem, often multiple causes interact and work together to trigger the problem. The root cause analysis task is to identify potential causes, determine which cause or causes are root causes and address those root causes to ensure the effect (the problem) does not recur. RCA is important because if a problem has occurred once, it most likely will occur again. However, if the root cause is found and addressed, future occurrences of the same problem CAN BE PREVENTED! Root cause analysis and corrective action is the key to preventing future problems.
For more information on Root Cause Analysis, see our Root Cause Analysis Resource Center.
This Training Enables Learners To…
- Analyze a problem and uncover its root cause(s).
- Develop solutions to get rid of, fix or overcome root causes of problems.
- Ensure that solutions to problems stay in place and continue to work effectively.
- Learners should be involved in root cause analysis or working on a problem-solving team so that what is learned in the training can be immediately applied and should have a basic understanding of the problem solving process such as 8D Problem-Solving or DMAIC Basics or the equivalent.
You May Also Be Interested In…
- Mistake-Proofing Training – Comprehensive online training in poka yoke/mistake-proofing techniques for manufacturing operations.
- 8D Problem-Solving – Step-by-step training in how to work on a problem-solving team follow the 8D methodology including tools and techniques that are used in each step.
- DMAIC Basics – Web-based training on how to solve problems using the DMAIC (Define-Measure-Analyze-Improve-Control) process.
Root Cause Analysis with Corrective Action Course Outline
Introduction | Root Cause Analysis Overview
- Overview of Root Cause Analysis
- Preview of Lessons 1 through 4
Lesson 1 | Form and Focus the Team
- Form a Team
- Focus the Team
- Understand the Problem
Lesson 2 | Find the Root Cause
- Create a cause & effect diagram
- Explore chains of causes
- Study interrelationships
- Use data analysis & investigative tools
- Identify root causes
Lesson 3 | Fix the Root Cause
- Propose potential solutions
- Select the “best” solution
- Conduct a reality test
- Develop Action Plan to implement solution
- Verify the solution
Lesson 4 | Finalize the Solution
- Validate the solution
- Update documentation
- Start audits
- Transfer knowledge
Lesson 5 | Overcoming Barriers
- 10 barriers to Root Causes Analysis with potential remedies
- An assessment of the learner’s progress in this course.
Root Cause Analysis with Corrective Action Course Objectives
- Establish an effective team environment.
- Clarify what the problem is and is not.
- Start a trail to the root cause starting with symptoms of the problem.
- Use data and investigative tools to identify the root cause.
- Employ decision matrices to select the most appropriate solution.
- Initiate measure to ensure the gains made are held.
- Recognize common barriers to root cause analysis and apply techniques to overcome those barriers.
Features of All QualityTrainingPortal Courses
Easy reporting for ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 records.
Powerful learning management and administration.
Media-rich presentation enhances the training.
Exercises reinforce concepts and keep learners engaged.
Printable PDF Reference Guide for future use.
Solid technical content developed by experts.
Learners progress through the training at their own pace.
Bookmarking so learners can start and stop the training as time allows.
Certificate of Completion that can be easily printed or saved.
CEUs awarded to fulfill continuing education requirements.