What are the 5S’s?
Instituting the 5S’s is usually one of the first step companies take in implementing Lean Six Sigma. The 5S’s (Sort, Set in Order, Shine, Standardize, and Sustain) are rough translations from the original Japanese terms referring to a process to optimize workplace organization. The premise for the 5S’s is that a lot of improvements and inefficiencies can be made by having a clean, organized and efficient workplace.
The 5S’s Online Training
With the 5S’s: Workplace Organization online training course, employees will learn the fundamental concepts of the 5S’s that will improve quality and productivity. The training includes step-by-step guidelines for achieving the 5S’s as well as a roadmap to implement the 5S’s throughout the entire organization. Many examples of 5S success stories are included throughout the training.
This Training Enables Learners To…
- Understand each of the five S’s and how each “S” builds upon the previous “S.”
- Apply the 5S’s to their work area.
- Develop (or participate in the development of) a 5S Implementation Roadmap.
- Learners should have the ability/authority to make improvements in their work area.
You May Also Be Interested In…
- Lean Manufacturing – Online training that provides learners with a comprehensive understanding of how Lean Manufacturing works in a manufacturing environment.
- Lean for Business Processes – Online training that provides learners with a comprehensive understanding of how Lean Manufacturing works in a transaction-based/non-manufacturing business or job function.
- 8D Problem-Solving – Step-by-step training in how to work on a problem-solving team follow the 8D methodology including tools and techniques that are used in each step.
5S’s Workplace Organization Course Outline
Unit 1 The 5S’s Step-by-Step
Lesson 1 | What is 5S All About?
- An overview of the 5S’s.
- The benefits and operational impact of implementing the 5S’s.
Lesson 2 | Sort: Clearing the Work Area
- How to organize the work area for efficiency and effectiveness and use the “48-Hour Rule.”
- A stepwise approach to clear the work area.
Lesson 3 | Set in Order: Designated Locations
- How to designate “a place for everything” and ensure “everything is in its place.”
- Considerations for establishing locations for storing items including: storage rationale, storage options, location-specific tips, storage don’ts, using signs and labels and documenting the plan.
Lesson 4 | Shine: Cleanliness and Workplace Appearance
- The three aspects of Shine: getting the workplace clean, maintaining its appearance, and using preventive measures to keep it clean.
Lesson 5 | Standardize: Everyone Doing Things the Same Way
- How to design systems that helps ensure that everyone does things the same way with full involvement, standardized training, and a “copy exactly” mindset.
Lesson 6 | Sustain: Ingrain It in the Culture
- How to implement techniques to prevent backsliding to sustain and ingrain workplace organization
Unit 1 Challenge
- An assessment of the learner’s progress in this unit.
Unit 2 5S Implementation
Lesson 1 | An Organization-Wide 5S Effort
- How to plan and implement a 5S initiative.
- An 8-point roadmap to implement the 5S’s: 1: Leadership Team; 2: Infrastructure; 3: Communications; 4: Training; 5: 5S Pilots; 6: Best Practices; 7: Full Roll-Out Plan; 8: Evaluate and Adjust.
Lesson 2 | Tackling 5S’s on Your Own
- How to implement the 5S’s in a work area if an organization-wide initiative is not supported.
Lesson 3 | Success Stories: Sorts
- Examples of “Sort Successes” showing both the before-state and the after-state with the impact (savings) explained.
- Checklist to help achieve successful Sorts.
Lesson 4 | Success Stories: Set in Order
- Examples of “Set in Order Successes” showing both the before-state and the after-state complete with the impact on the organization.
- Set in Order Checklists.
Lesson 5 | Success Stories: Shine, Standardize and Sustain
- Examples of successful approaches for the Shine, Standardize and Sustain phases of a 5S program
Unit 2 Challenge
- An assessment of the learner’s progress in this unit.
5S’s Workplace Organization Course Objectives
Unit 1 | The 5S’s Step-by-Step
In this unit learners will be introduced to the five core components of the 5S’s:
- Sort: Sort out items not needed in the work area and disposition those items to be removed.
- Set in Order: Select the best locations and ways to store items used in the work area using a structured rationale and knowledge of storage options.
- Shine: Get the workplace clean; then maintain the appearance of the workplace and institute preventive measures to ensure it stays clean.
- Standardize: Design systems in place to ensure everyone does things the same way, implement techniques to ingrain a “copy exactly” mind set, and leverage Best Practices.
- Sustain: Learn how to prevent backsliding and build the 5S’s into the culture of the organization.
Unit 2 | 5S Implementation
In this unit, learners explore approaches to implement the 5S’s in their organization (or work area); examples of successes for each 5S phase are included.
- Organization-Wide Implementation: Work though an 8-point checklist to plan an organization-wide implementation of the 5S’s.
- Work Area Implementation: Use a 6-point checklist to plan your work area 5S effort if a site-wide 5S implementation is not supported.
- Sort Successes: Explore examples of “Sort Successes” to trigger ideas for your 5S effort.
- Set in Order Successes: Use lessons learned from “Set in Order Successes” to fuel your 5S effort.
- Shine, Standardize, & Sustain Successes: Adopt the examples discussed to build success factors into your Shine, Standardize, and Sustain efforts.