What It Is Used For
- To methodically examine a process or product design to identify where failures can occur and what the relative risks are for each mode of failure.
When to Use It
- Start using this tool during the design stage for any process or product.
- On existing products and processes, this tool can be used at any time as part of improvement efforts.
- FMEAs are a complex undertaking and should always be conducted by a team.
- FMEAs need to be updated whenever changes are made to the process or product.